Sunday, May 17, 2020

A Cabbage, Two Carrots and a Pea

The springtime woodland margins are lit up around here first by the white glow of Garlic Mustard, then Pignut and Cow Parsley. Vetches have joined in and I include Bush Vetch here.

 Garlic Mustard, Alliara petiolata

I saw this member of the Brassicaceae family in bloom back in April and the first photo is from that time. The stem leaves are bluntly toothed and pointed.




The seed pods which are held nearly upright are beginning to develop now and are lightly beaded as shown by the  second picture taken this week.





It has many local names including Jack-in -the- Hedge and Penny-in-the- Hedge. According to William Turner's Herbal  in 1538 it was used as a spring sauce and even in 1848 it is mentioned as a salad ingredient.

Pignut, Conopodium majus

Again a native, this plant is from the Apiaceae family. The stems grow from a single dark brown tuber hence the name. In a few parts of the country it has been called Earthnut. It has been a medicine and a food. 


It's a delicate plant with stem leaves cut into long narrow strap shaped lobes. For me that's the key ID feature. I see it on woodland path sides. The umbels are light and airy too. I see it as individual plants rather than in a great mass.



Cow Parsley, Anthriscus sylvestris 

Another native, this member the Apiaceae family forms great clouds on roadsides and here on a woodland ride.





When separating this from other umbellifers I look for bracteoles but no bracts. I hope that can be seen here.




Bush Vetch, Vicia sepium

This native is in the Pea family, Fabaceae. This low grower is scattered in shady parts of the meadow area in my garden.



The first one is older and more faded than the second. Both show, the characteristic for me, leaves which are divided into oval- oblong leaflets blunt at the ends but with the fine bristle point. The flowers are in clusters.




It has some interesting folk names. Crow - peas, I like to think, comes from the seed pods which are black. It's called Twaddgers in Yorkshire.  No theory on that one!

This brings me to #365DaysofBotany Day 132 . I generally go out for a walk twice a week now so posting twice seems to fit the spirit of the challenge I undertook in January.

I hope you enjoy reading it and finding out some plant history.

No comments:

Post a Comment